Thursday, May 30, 2013

THE WEEKLY SOUL SUGGESTION : Do What You Love

THE WEEKLY SOUL SUGGESTION : Do What You Love  



I was sitting in front of my computer thinking of a good idea for an article when one of my students sent me a personal message asking for my advice. He was confused on what step he had to take for his life. His dad wanted him to work on a cruise ship to earn big money.  His mother didn’t want him to go because, according to her, it’s dangerous, and the work is too hard for him. She wanted him to finish his studies. He knew his parents only wanted what they thought was good for him, but he was torn between their decisions.  He wanted me to tell him which one to choose.  All I could say to him was, “What do you want to do with the rest of your life?”

IT’S MY LIFE

Your parents may think they know what is best for you, but the truth is; only you can say which direction is the right one to take especially when it comes to your career or love life. Sometimes people see your potentials and suggest things that they think would fit you best.  The biggest mistake any person can make is to get into something just because someone told you to.  Be the boss of your own destiny. It’s your life, and you have to be the one calling the shots. I’m not saying that you should ignore all of the suggestions and advice. Listen and analyze them; but never forget to consider what you really want in life.

I KNOW WHAT I WANT

When teenagers ask me what courses they should take or what career they should pursue, all I have to say is, “What do you really want?”  For those I am close to, I point out their talents and the things that I find that they enjoy doing most.  Then I suggest possible jobs that they can do with that certain talent or skill. This way they get to see what they really want and not what their parents and friends want for them.

FOLLOW YOUR PASSION

Everyone has that one, great dream. We have that one, specific thing that we know we would want to do for the rest of our lives. That dream and that one thing that you love doing so much is your passion. Find it and never leave it because it is your passion that will keep you feeling alive and motivated.  If you find a job that makes you do what you are most passionate about, then you will never feel like you’re working for the rest of your life because you will be doing something that you love.

THE ULTIMATE GOAL

Every day you should set a goal of things that you need to accomplish. Make it a habit to set goals for every task you do. Having a goal gives you direction and purpose. It gives you a sense of success and joy every time you accomplish something, no matter how small.  You may not become the most successful person or the richest person, but if you find contentment and happiness in doing what you love, then you have achieved your ultimate goal, which is happiness.

post courtesy : sheila /souljah

No comments: